Author Topic: Mirtazapine  (Read 3904 times)

KateG

• Karma Group
Mirtazapine
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »
I was just wondering how many people are on mirtazapine and how much weight you've gained since being on it.

I've been on it for 2 months. In that time I've put on over 20 lbs. It gives me huge cravings for chocolate and afterwards I immediately want savoury stuff. Yes it makes me sleep, although if I take it too early, I find it harder to get to sleep (bizarre), but I can't go on like this or I will be the size of a house. None of my clothes fit as it is. I am seriously considering stopping taking it.

Has anyone come off it and been able to shift the weight it made you put on?

Munchroom

• Karma Group
Re: Mirtazapine
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »
I have to admit Kate, I came off of Mitrazapine pretty quickly once I realised how much it was making me eat  :-\ I know people who take it and have increased appetites but feel that the benefits outweigh the side effects but I figured that eating more would, for me, make me even more depressed because I need to keep strict control over my weight.

I was put on something else after that.... it might even be the Trazadone that I'm on now, but none of the anti-depressants I tried before or after than have increased my appetite that dramatically - and I have been on a fair few  :-\

You need to find an AD that works for you - and that takes into account all of the side effects that come with them. Good luck xxx
This too shall pass.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »
Not sure how much weight it has mae me again, but it definatly gives me craving for food.

Steve

C_C

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »
Hi,

I have been on this for nearly a month now and it has certainly increased my appetite but I've not changed my eating habits to match, I tend to just go hungry. If you didn't have an eating problem before then I would suggest you talk to your doctor and change the medicine. For me, it was the lack of sleep that was driving me mad and this certainly cures that. Good luck.

CC x

find_me_a_cure

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
I am on those it makes me not want to eat but drink lots of tea coffee ect. But I can't seem to fall asleep at a decent time sometimes I can't seem to sleep at all I must admit that they do put weight on you and I have been on them a while with dose changes.           

mrmoody

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
I actually lost weight the first 4 months I was on it and now I am thinking I am putting on again. Stopping boozing will help but my appetite has remained around the same as it always was.

positivity

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »
Hi

I too take mirtazapine and have been for about 6 months and during that time as my dose has increased i too have found that im eating a lot more too,  im unsure what to do, iv reacted or had bad side effects with other anti depressents and been on these yes my weight has increased but im sleeping fine and i dont think i could face trying another type of medication, think i need to talk this over with my doctor

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
I've not been sleeping well for the last few days so I took half a mirtazapine last night just to make me sleep. I had stopped taking them shortly after I started this post. OMG it knocked me out so quickly, I slept for more than 12 hrs, it took me ages to wake up and I spent most of today feeling like a drunken zombie.

I can't believe I used to take double this amount every day

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »
I'm on 45 mg now and was told the higher the dose the less sedating it is.  Hmmm, well about 30 mins after taking it I can feel my head start to get heavy and I get that feeling you could sleep standing up!  Then again I am also taking pregabalin but not at the same time, I always take the latter at least six hours before the mirtazapine.  Yet I am determined to stick with the meds I've got now, been on the merry-go-round far too long and don't really fancy ever touching MAOIs or tricyclics.

Beet x

willows

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
I am on 45mg mirtazapine as well and it has the exact same effect in half an hour as Beetzart experiences. It makes me sleep very deeply for the early part of the night but I still wake up often in the early hours of the morning. I am questioning if I am really feeling any benefit from the med other than sleeping better than I was.
I am going to talk to my gp this week as I don't like the physical effects it has had on me including weight gain and my periods stopping completely. Has any one else experienced problems with their periods on mirtazapine? This is really worrying me.

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »
Willows mine were a lot later than usual and even my GP said it was only making me sleep, not touching my depression at all  %^%

Munchkyne

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »
Mark has just been put on this and when he takes the tablet he is out like a light within 50 mins.  not noticed any weight gain but ill keep an eye on him (heck im his wife gotta look after my man eh lol). x
Loving and supportive wife to Mark, carer and mother to 3 wonderful kids