Author Topic: Work, bullying and depression  (Read 655 times)

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
Work, bullying and depression
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »
Hi, I am currently signed off from work with depression and anxiety and have put forward a greivance with my company over bullying.  The thing is I don't want to go back I am slowly improving with my meds and going back to work would just send me back down again.  Then it would get worse once those concerned have been told what I have done.  So going back is not an option.  I saw a pdoc and an Access advisor today to discuss what to do and the advisor said I should wait for my greivance meeting before resigning so that would mean getting extended sick leave.  She said the company may be able to offer me work elsewhere away from these people, that is a problem in itself.  The nearest other contract this company has where I might be able to go is 60 miles away, and I have just sold my car (couldn't afford to run it).  Just left a message with citizens advice hoping they might be able to help when they get back to me but I can't see beyond resigning and maybe claiming constructive dismissal.  But I don't really care I just want away from the place and those people.  It is a gardening job and I mainly cut grass and I would like to think I could do better.  Infact I am pretty useless at it if it must be told and I wouldn't be surprised if they were glad to see the back of me.  They know now never to give me a job that involves any sort of skill ie tree work, turfing, etc because I am crap at it.  Trouble is my whole life I have been held back by depression and social anxiety, I am not a people person at all, much rather prefer my own company, and close family.  So I'm a bit stuck, even though I am being referred for talking therapy to try and help my low self-esteem and confidence. My main interests are science and music, and history, literature, and geography.  I am currently doing an OU degree.

So I think I will have to resign and hope I can get some help with getting an appropriate job.  I know I am capable of doing something more then strimming dog's muck over my face, that is for shore.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Work, bullying and depression
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »
It may be worth contacting an appropriate union to see if they can help

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »
Agree with Zaf, if that's an option.

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
Unfortunately I am not in a Union.  All I really want is for this depression to subside somewhat and I can't see that happening if I return there.  Don't get me wrong I want to work have done for 99% of my working life, but I don't feel strong enough to fight these people anymore.

Thanks for your quick replies :)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »
I know exactly how you feel as I had a work-related breakdown in the 90's.

I believe some unions may help even if you arent a member so it may be worth trying, also some solicitors offer free 10 or 20 minute consultations which may be an option

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
Thank you, Zaf :)

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 06:24:11 PM »
Hope you can find some way to sort this problem.

Take care

S x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.