Author Topic: Worried about finances......  (Read 858 times)

nickynoo

• Karma Group
Worried about finances......
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:57:11 PM »
Hi all,

Had been having a good few days and then I got a letter thru the post........turns out that my JSA will be stopped in 2 weeks time as apparently you can only claim for 182 days in a tax year, I have currently been on it for 169 days. I have had a look and because I am in full time education I do not qualify to have income based JSA (am currently on NI contribution based JSA).

I have a feeling that I am going to be a bit screwed, firstly I will need to actually get a job, then I will be needing to do at least 30 hours working at min wage to be able to afford to live, so will end up being a 44 hour week and now this wouldn't be a problem if I had the energy to go out to work a full time job (even a part time job), but I am exhausted after going to college and thats only 14 hours a week. I am in no way a shirker I have worked since I was 15 and been in full time employment until about 6 months ago (I have been doing full time work and part time college for the last 3 years, so its not like I'm lazy - although I feel like I am at the moment, a complete lazy cow) but when I became so exhausted I had to give up work, I had even been attending work when my dizziness was at it's worst, getting a cab in that cost 2 hours worth of money plus train on way home which was another hours worth of money, I did try, but ended up being too much and I couldnt cope with everything even the simplest of tasks.

I really don't know what to do, don't know how the hell am I going to muster up the energy to do full time work and full time college when I struggle with 14 hours a week at college......please help me :(

Nickynoo  :'(

lost rolex

• Karma Group
  • cognitive dissonance
Re: Worried about finances......
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 04:15:42 AM »
having helped young people for a good part of my life i am lost, just found myself staring at the page, while my meds kick in,

so hear goes ....No JSA = no money + Xmas = &$%+ time, you will have to give up collage if you want £££$$$ and work for it, 14 hours if need be.

sorry but the way the government are squeezing everyone down there's just no room to help you.

LR
Harmful intentions
particularly those involving deliberate acts exploitation, seem to cause longer-lasting and more painful emotional consequences than natural disasters. The crucial factor may be that such experiences destroys people’s trust in others, particularly if they involve someone you have depended on.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 04:47:27 AM »
I dont know anything about the benefits system but I would suggest you go to the CAB to see if they can help xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
Definetly go and see the Citizens Advice Nickynoo - would it be possible to look into claiming Employment and Support allowance instead? Again, its not always a straightforward road with them - but at least they realise that although you are trying, you are unable to work full time. Xx
This too shall pass.

nickynoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice all, I will have a chat with the CAB and see what they say......personally I dont think I'll have a leg to stand on but its worth a try eh. Had a look at the ESA seems quite a longwinded stressful road to go down and not sure I'll qualify for that anyway :( but I'll ask.

Giving up my college is absolutely not an option, I need these skills to get employment so that I can make something of myself and earn good money so that I dont have to ask for money from the state, so I would rather not work now and keep studying for my level 3 than give up studying now and go to work and be stuck in something I can't stand for the rest of my life.

I'm not sure if my GP would sign me off, I don't think he would to be honest.

Suppose I'm just gonna have to be even more frugal than I am already lol.........so everyone xmas for me is cancelled this year!!! :(

lost rolex

• Karma Group
  • cognitive dissonance
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 06:09:08 AM »
Xmas was for me was cancelled 5 years ago along with many other special dates, you are not alone

LR
Harmful intentions
particularly those involving deliberate acts exploitation, seem to cause longer-lasting and more painful emotional consequences than natural disasters. The crucial factor may be that such experiences destroys people’s trust in others, particularly if they involve someone you have depended on.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
Oh Nickynoo  &*( the flipping DWP always pick the very worst times to do this to people! (trust me, I am far from their greatest fan!)

We're doing Christmas on a pretty tight budget too this year - as we did last year too. Do you live alone, or is there someone you can soend Christmas day with? Xx
This too shall pass.

nickynoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 11:37:50 PM »
Thanks all for your advice again....

I have an appointment this Friday to see an advisor at the jobcentre about the discontinuation of my JSA. Feeling pretty anxious about it really, still not told my mum yet, I know her answer will be that I will have to get a job....I just cant do that at the moment :(. I feel bad as my mum is only in temp xmas work (working hard despite her not feeling 100%) and stepdad doesnt earn much so we have to be more careful with the money at the moment. I feel that I need to and want to contribute more but so frustrated about being tired all the time and the fact that I cant earn my own living....its hardly fair on the family and feel like I'm a right failure because I have always worked hard for what I have and I just can't face it right now.....I suppose I'll just have to see what the advisor says eh.

Also going to get an appointment with my GP to discuss this as I have my monthly review due now (well its actually a month overdue now oops, seems pointless going to see him every month as its always the same &$%+ different appointment, waste of his time), I'm hoping that he may have something to say on the matter.

Managed to get some xmas shopping done at the weekend, went all the way to Brighton, was absolutely knackered after, but was so glad that I did it!!

Munchroom.....I live at home with my mum and step-dad, so have people to spend xmas day with.....not that I spend much time with them anymore as I have been sitting in my room like a hermit, don't really feel like talking most days, most days come home from college say Hi and go straight to my room, surprised myself the other day as actually sat downstairs with mum in the evening and wrapped up all her presents, I love wrapping presents lol very therapeutic (am I weird ???) :)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
Its bound to be scary :(   If you think you might forget anything important take a list of things you need to say, it helps me to stop worrying I'll forget something if nothing else!

Hope it goes OK and the doc's appointment too

xx

Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.