Author Topic: Hello all, just introducing myself  (Read 1137 times)

Stormy

• Karma Group
Hello all, just introducing myself
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and introduce myself here. I've read a few of the other 'hello' topics, and it would seem I'm in a similar situation to many of you.

So I've been feeling really low, unmotivated, hopeless and really couldn't care less about my job, my home, my appearance etc on and off for about two years. But it started being all on and no off. After about eight or nine months of feeling like this, I finally plucked up the courage to go to my GP.

The first GP I saw was really supportive, asking lots of questions about how I was feeling, how long I had felt this way and whether anything had happened in my life to bring on a period of depression. I really can't think of anything that would have caused me to feel this way, so I guess I'm just one of those people who it just happens to.

I was put on the waiting list for a counsellor, prescribed 10mg of Citalopram going up to 20mg after a week, handed a list of self-help websites and packed away with an appointment in three weeks time.

The second appointment was when I found out the initial GP I saw was a locum and I wouldn't be able to make regular appointments with her, and I was transferred to another doctor at the practice. He made me feel awful! To cut a long appointment short he said I should never have been prescribed medication and many times periods of depression go away on their own, or with CBT on its own.

I felt like I had done the right thing by taking medication while waiting for a counsellor, as I felt like I couldn't go on feeling really hideous all the time! Or even feeling totally numb, I don't know what's worse.

So although I still have to see the same second GP, he has got a little more supportive and enrolled me on a CCBT course (Beating the Blues), I'm doing my second session tomorrow evening.

That's my story so far! I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences with their doctor. I've been on Citalopram now for about 6 weeks and not feeling any great shifts in my mood, but the side effects have definitely levelled out. Just the occasional bout of anxiety, upset stomach and disturbed sleep.

My little introduction has turned into quite a long post! I'm enjoying reading some of the positive stories on here, and I've been really happy to see a lot of support between the members. I think that's why I've signed up, my partner is wonderful, but I do feel like a huge burden on him at the moment.

I hope everyone is having a good day today, and I hope to speak to you all soon x

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Hello all, just introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:31:14 PM »
Hi and welcome, I've always been very luckt with whatever GP I've seen,but if you become unhappy with yours it should be possible to change.

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Glen53

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »
Hi there.

Citalopram can take a while to kick in so you may not see many benefits just yet. Its also possible that they may up the dose to 40 mg if it doesnt make any difference in a month or so.

Talking through your feelings on here will help if you can - even if its just to rant about a tough day that you have had. It really helps to know you are not alone with your feelings and this place really has been a godsend for me.
Crazy like a fish.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
Hello and welcome,

I have also been lucky with my gp's, if you are not happy you should change, you should not have to give a reason.  You should feel comfortable with your dr.

We all understand depression here and we are here to help and listen.

I have also found this forum to be such a great help to me.

Take care

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.