Author Topic: Hey  (Read 1131 times)

geneticblizzard

• Karma Group
Hey
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:18:04 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm a new guy here. Early last August, I was diagnosed with depression or Major Depressive Disorder by my psychologist. I had felt this way since my second year of high school, but even since I was probably about 9 or 10 I was aware that I was not very happy with life, even if it wasn't as serious (I just turned 17 today).

When I was seeing my psychologist every Friday, she was convinced that my low mood was a direct effect of my poor social life, of which there pretty much isn't one. However, the more I think about it, the more that seems highly unlikely. When I had really good friends in high school I still felt this way. It's like there's no reason for it whatsoever, and I don't like lying to people about how I feel, but if they ask why I'm feeling down when I say I am, they don't get it when I reply "I don't know why".

I feel like this has been a problem for every day for years now. I can feel happiness, joy, and other positive emotions, and I haven't been completely miserable every minute of every day, but when I feel a positive emotion it's like it's being numbed down, if that makes any sense. Like if you picture happiness as a sunny day, with me it's still bright, but it's really overcast; like I know it's there in the back of my mind, stopping me from feeling happiness to its fullest. I know you can't expect to go around happy all the time, but it's like this empty, miserable feeling is my default feeling for when I'm not busy feeling something else, which is pretty much most of the time, coincidentally.

I lost all of my good friends because they felt I was too depressing to be around, which quite badly effected me. All my life I've gone way out of my way for my friends, and they never returned the favor, and they constantly betrayed me, leaving me with serious trust issues. I don't even trust my parents one bit. I left school, which temporarily gave me a sense of euphoria, but it vanished quickly. It was like having the rug pulled out from under me, and all my old feelings of worthlessness, helplessness, and self degradation came back in a flash, and here I sit with them now. I sleep too long, I've put on weight, I turn to alcohol whenever I can, and I have no motivation to fill out my university application, which I'm absolutely certain will be rejected, but I don't really care anymore. I don't do anything like I used to, and I spend at least 21 hours a day in my room, including sleeping of course.

If my religion didn't say anything against suicide, I would have done it a long time ago. Yeah, I'm a Christian. One of the only things that's stopping me from doing it is my religion. I know I'll never commit suicide, and that scares me, because it means I'll actually have to live out the rest of my life, which I'm certain will be pretty pointless and miserable.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:24:00 AM by geneticblizzard »

Glen53

• Karma Group
Re: Hey
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 07:10:48 AM »
You sound very low with all of this, it must be very tough for you right now.

Many people on this forum can relate to some of what you are saying. I can only assure you that you will not have anyone turn their back on you here. We all talk to each other about how we feel and share our darker thoughts so that we can help to guide each other through.

Some of us keep a journal in the sites journal section so that we can look back and see the small improvements we make. I do this myself and have found it a huge help to me. It also allows others to relate to your experiences and can help them fee they are not alone.

I hope that today is kinder to you and some of the fog you describe lifts to allow more light into your life.
Crazy like a fish.

Ezel

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:30:07 AM »
 .>, &*(

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »
Hello and welcome.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »
Hi,  have you seen your GP recently to tell him/her how you feel and either get some medication or change your present medication?

xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

geneticblizzard

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Thanks everyone, it's always nice to be accepted somewhere. I think I'll definitely stick around  ;).

About keeping a journal, I suppose I could do that. I do try and keep a physical journal, but I always end up filling it with gibberish  :P

As for medication, I haven't even inquired about it yet. My mother wants to make an appointment with a psychiatrist (it's unbelievably hard discussing it with her), but a trip to the GP would be much cheaper.

Glen53

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »
Start with your GP and see what he suggests  ;)

As for the journal, it doesnt matter if some of it is jibberish, the act of writing it can be quite therapeutic in itself. Besides the tone of how you feel comes across in whatever you write so you can always look back and see how you were feeling. Feel free to have a read through and see how / what is involved if you like, you can then decide if its something you want to do.  :)
Crazy like a fish.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »
I'd definitely go to your GP first as he may organise some sort of counselling on the NHS
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »
I agree with what Glen and Zaf said to you.  I have just started a journal, wrote things down for the first time ever, found it to be very helpful to me.

Take care

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.