Author Topic: Change of medication  (Read 691 times)

alancue

• Karma Group
Change of medication
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
Hello.
Has anyone got a personal view about the merits of Fluoxetine versus Citalopram ?
I have been on Citalopram for quite some time. However i felt that it was becoming less effective.
After seeing my GP about this he put me on Fluoxetine. Just done one month on 20mg. Sleeping much better but my moods are cycling high/low . My second prescription is for 40mg with a warning to watch my mood swings. Does anyone have experience of this ?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Change of medication
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:18:59 PM »
Exactly the opposite happened to me, the fluorexetine bacame ineffective and I was swapped to citralopram which works for me with no obvious side effects
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:29:11 PM »
I was on Citalopram the first time I had depression and it worked for a couple of years then stopped working, then it took several trys with others to get one that worked for me and that was Duloxetine (Cymbalta).  Which is what I am on this time and apart from the usual side effects, which hopefully will wear off and its helped quite quickly.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

alancue

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »
My high/low moods have passed now ( hopefully ).
On a much more even keel now. There seems to be a common theme that a certain anti depressant works for a certain length of time and then we have to change to another one.Agree/ disagree ?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »
I'm not sure if it happens to everyone but I found fluroexetine stopped working for me after about 5 years
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »
Just speaking on my experience Citalopram worked for me for 2 years then stopped working.  Sure its different for everyone.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.