Author Topic: Starting to come off effexor/venlafaxine - I'm frightened!  (Read 3318 times)

lonely99

Starting to come off effexor/venlafaxine - I'm frightened!
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:29 AM »
I've been on effexor for years, up to 225mg.  I don't feel better,  I've never felt that it has helped.  Reading about the withdrawal has worried me for a long time and I decided I don't want to be on this drug any more.  I also worry about coming off it when I want to have a baby (not that it is likely, given that I'm single and destined to be alone).  I'm a teacher, and off work for the summer for another 4 weeks so I wanted to start coming off it while I'm not working.  This in itself is a problem, because I get very down when I'm not working.  I have nothing to get up for.

I've dropped down to 150mg for the past 2 days.  I feel really down, but was feeling bad anyway because I haven't seen anybody I know in almost two weeks.

I'm really frightened about what I might be in for with regards to withdrawal.  I live alone and my family live hundreds of miles away.  I'm also worried that I might be unable to continue tapering down when I go back to work if I get too bad.

All I've read are horror stories.  Has ANYBODY had an ok experience coming off this drug??

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Starting to come off effexor/venlafaxine - I'm frightened!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:18:05 AM »
No sorry, have you asked your doctor about this ?  xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Ducky

• Karma Group
    • Mandalay Emporium
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:41:01 AM »
I w/d slowly from that one without any ill effects, best to see your GP who, like mine, can consult their local psychiatrist for the correct w/d programme. They did this for me as I am now w/d from Seroxat after 15 years, from 60mg a day am now down to 40mg before switching to another anti-depressant.

Good luck

Ducky

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 11:48:25 AM »
Have you discussed coming off this medication with your Dr? Its always best to stop with advice from your Dr. As they can give you a plan with which to help. S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

lonely99

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
Yes, I've discussed this with my psychiatrist.  He says 60% of people have a bad withdrawal and I am coming off this under his supervision.  I've just read so many bad things about it.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 08:42:02 PM »
Thats good to hear you are doing it with the help of your psychiatrist.  Hopefully if you are coming off it very slowly you will have minimal side effects.  Maybe the side effects you have read about are from people stopping cold turkey. 

S x x x x

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 09:01:34 PM »
Venlafaxine is notorious to withdraw from.  I also take 225 mg and won't be coming off it, I'd happily stay on it for life.  Sorry it didn't work for you, are you going onto something else?  I will say I am still depressed but going up to 225 mg lifted me out of the hole a bit, and slightly gives me a boost in the morning.

Can you not get some benzos short term just for the worst of it?

Beet

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »
What Beetzart suggested is a good idea, my psychiatrist gave me Clonazepam to take during the transition from Citalopram to Duloxetine.  Maybe its worth asking if you can be prescribed  something to ease it for you.

S x x x x