Author Topic: What hobbies and interests do people have?  (Read 7180 times)

Dobbie

• Karma Group
What hobbies and interests do people have?
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:35:52 PM »
After having a discussion with my wife, I feel that I need to discover a new hobby or interest. When my father passed away back in 2007, I splashed some cash and bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle. I hadn't even passed my test prior to this! I suppose I am a fair weather rider, but maybe now I should join a club. It might be a great way to make new friends, who knows! Does anyone else have an interest or hobby that helps them to cope with their depression?

woozywoo

• Karma Group
Re: What hobbies and interests do people have?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:43:49 PM »
I love cake making. I started it as a hobby a few years ago to try to meet people in an evening class. It didnt work, but i found a very enjoyable hobby. Its still based very much within my family and friends at the moment, but would like to take it further in the future.

Good luck with your hobby Dobbie, i think a club would be a good idea and a good start to making some friends.

Dobbie

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
I have thought about an evening class, not sure that cake making would be for me, but it might be a good way to meet people. As for the bike I not looking to become a Hell Angel, just thought it might be a good way to meet new people. I read your other post and am sorry that you are not having a good evening. I know the feeling, my wife stormed out the other day to go to the cinema with some friends leaving me at home in a right mess.

woozywoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »
Thanx Dobbie. The thing is, i am used to it now, part and parcel of my everyday life which isnt good.

You never know, cake making mite just be what your life has been missing...haha! Anything else you fancy in terms of evning classes.??

Dobbie

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
Uhmm not too sure really. Wouldn't mind learning a foreign language, always fancied Spanish for some reason. Photography would be good too, not short of ideas really. Just don't have the get up and go really.

woozywoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:58:38 PM »
Motivation is very hard to maintain when you are depressed. But stick at it, hopefully you can find some thing you will enjoy.

Dobbie

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
That's it, I just find it difficult to find the motivation. The more I think about it the more I realise that I have always been this way to a degree. I'm not saying that I have no motivation, I managed to get through college and uni and have even done post grad courses so I know I can do things, just find it difficult. Do you understand what I am trying to say? I just think that peole think I am boring because I don't involve myself.

woozywoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »
Yeah i can totally understand what you are saying. I am similar. Went to college and uni, but mixing with people wasnt easy and i used to keep myself quite isolated. I am better now, but its still not easy.

Dobbie

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
It's nice to talk to someone who understands. My wife finds it very difficult. I think a lot of it is due to myself having a very horrible school experience. I hated school and was a bit of a loner. The teachers said that I wouldn't amount to much so I kind of gave up really. It wasn't until later on that I really put any effort into achieving something. Like you I find it difficult to mix with people. I think with me it's more of a trust issue.

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 09:46:03 PM »
the bike club sounds like a brilliant idea. im in a large land rover club and a few smaller 4x4 clubs and a local car club and ive made some brilliant friends though them.
im not really in touch with any of them at the moment due to my physical injures preventing any real off road fun :(

ive never really found mixing with people easier either but when you meet people with common interests then its a lot easier to talk to them and get to know them.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

Dobbie

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 09:51:54 PM »
I went off roading once, had a great time! I always thought it might be an expensive hobby and I'm not really that mechanically minded to repair the damage I would cause!

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
yeah its brilliant fun and is fairly expensive and you need to be very mechanically minded to repair all the damage or just be bloody careful(even then you will have unavoidable damage)  but i have to say a land rover is very easy to work on and to learn how to work on a vehicle, especially on the older ones as there so simple.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

lost rolex

• Karma Group
  • cognitive dissonance
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 11:00:20 PM »
i have been advised to get a hobby i had a hobby before all the &$%+e happened it used to be photography.

have no interest in anything  :(
Harmful intentions
particularly those involving deliberate acts exploitation, seem to cause longer-lasting and more painful emotional consequences than natural disasters. The crucial factor may be that such experiences destroys people’s trust in others, particularly if they involve someone you have depended on.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 12:40:48 AM »
After having a discussion with my wife, I feel that I need to discover a new hobby or interest. When my father passed away back in 2007, I splashed some cash and bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle. I hadn't even passed my test prior to this! I suppose I am a fair weather rider, but maybe now I should join a club. It might be a great way to make new friends, who knows! Does anyone else have an interest or hobby that helps them to cope with their depression?

Have you got the beard to go with it?

Dobbie

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »
Ha, no I don't have the beard or any tats either. Maybe this could be a non starter already?  To be honest I don't think I could cope with a beard!