Author Topic: Disabled Student's Allowance - looking for advice  (Read 1321 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Disabled Student's Allowance - looking for advice
« on: July 31, 2018, 10:45:35 AM »
I'm trying to stay positive that I'll be re-awarded ESA in November so I'll be able to pay for 3 of the 6 undergraduate courses I need up front so that I don't get into debt again, so soon after getting out of my 22 year long debt.

In theory I'll be entitled to a DSA for each of the undergraduate courses I do with the OU but I know very little about them.  Don't suppose anyone here has studied at University level and been awarded a DSA that they could tell me about could they?  Pretty please?

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get comb-bound books and conference call tutorials and transcripts of the telly programmes and extra time and be able to use my notes in the exams as well as being able to have the exams at home again directly from the OU, so what else can a DSA do to help, please?

If my GP supports my application for the DSA, it'll be for the psychotic depression, brain damage (aka memory problems), the mobility problems and the Korsakov syndrome.  In theory I could be awarded it for the hearing and sight problems too, but those 4 will be the ones I need most support with.

Soooo, has anyone here been awarded a DSA in the recent past please?  What happens at the assessment?  What sort of thing do they recommend to help with your studies?  How difficult is it to arrange the support you've been awarded?  Things like that?

TIA!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.