Author Topic: Medication  (Read 3168 times)

Ian mac

Medication
« on: March 17, 2013, 04:01:09 AM »
Hi has anyone had experience with taking imipramine I have just started it at 25 mg slowly building it up to 150 mg but on the 25 mg I cannot sleep at all I just don't feel tired is this usual  ? I am worried thanks

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: Medication
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, sorry but I have no experience with this med, but hopefully another member will be able to help.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Catbrian

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »
I have no experience with this med.  However, I have had experience of insomnia when I first started taking the current meds and I have heard other people say similar things.  Side effects normally pass with time.  But, it is not nice when you cannot sleep and that, in turn, can make us feel more depressed.  maybe the GP will prescribe something to help you sleep until the side effect passes.  I'd certainly talk to the GP about how you're feeling

Ian mac

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 06:53:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice I am due to see the G.P soon so will ask her then

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 09:51:59 PM »
I tried it briefly about 8 years ago but the side effects put me off after a few days.  It heavily sedated me and getting up in the morning was horrendous.

Beet

smokey

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:36:21 AM »
Hi Ian, I was imipramine for a year or so around 2003, if I remember right I slept ok but I put a fair bit of weight on and really struggled with sweating in social situations. Imipramine is one of the earlier antidepressants, think it was introduced in the 60's but don't quote me on that lol The lack of sleep will catch up at some point so would probably be a good idea to let your gp know sooner rather than later. Hope it gets sorted for you.

Ian mac

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 09:56:04 AM »
I have given this drug 4 weeks on full dose 150 mg and feel terrible physically and mentally so am considering coming off everything and taking the consequences I am wishing it would all end I can't go on like this

Catbrian

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
Ian.... I am in the same position with meds and I am coming off painkillers and antidepressants. However, it is really important that we NEVER stop medication suddenly, especially antidepressants as we will end up worse than ever.  It's important you reduce gradually.  Believe me, within 3-5 days, you will feel worse.  Talk it over with the GP.  Antidepressants and anti= psychotic medications react differently for everyone.  Good luck, I know it's tough

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:15:26 PM »
I feel for you Ian, but I really think you should discuss this with your Dr and slowly wean yourself off this medication, as Cat has said suddenly stopping any anti depressant is not a good idea.

Take care

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.