Author Topic: Amitryptyline prescribed - don't feel comfortable  (Read 4022 times)

TomCrick

• Karma Group
Amitryptyline prescribed - don't feel comfortable
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »
Hi Folks,

I went to see my GP today but there was only a locum available. I pushed the issue of the psychiatrist's appointment and was told, 'very soon, very soon,' to which I smiled and nodded. Too tired to push it at the moment. I then mentioned a pain I've developed in my jaw, which he quickly diagnosed as the epically named - Temporomandibular joint disorder (painful jaw). He then wrote me a prescription for amitryptyline to cope with the pain and help me sleep. But I don't feel comfortable as I made a baby-suicide attempt with amitryptyline a few years ago (took an overdose then promptly rang an ambulance). I know what they can do. I don't want them anywhere near me - which is progress! Plus, I'm on Citalopram and don't want to mess with the dosage. They weren't prescribed for my depression, but I just feel very, very weird having been given potential access to them. And a bit angry at this locum, too. I said I was still having suicidal thoughts and he just wrote out this prescription for me.

Don't know how I feel, really. Perhaps a bit shocked.

Cheers

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Amitryptyline prescribed - don't feel comfortable
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »
I agree, when does your own GP come back?

Z x
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

TomCrick

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
Couple of weeks - his summer break, I think. I've still got the prescription. Part of me thinks I should burn it or shred it so I don't have access to it; the other bit of me thinks it would be useful in 'emergencies.' Not good

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:53:19 PM »
Could you give it or the medication to someone to hold for you in case you do need it in an emergency?

Z x

TomCrick

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
Yeah, that's possible, that's a good idea.

Do you think I should contact my GP upon his return and say that I didn't feel comfortable with the locum's decision? I'm not sure how esoteric the knowledge is that amitryptyline can potentially be used for self-harm, but even if he didn't know, I feel utterly thrown and quite upset actually.

Cheers for your help, Z

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
I would if I was in your place Tom but its very much a personal decision

Z x

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:05:11 PM »
I personally would give the prescription to some one to keep safe for you. I had the same problem with my jaw. I was referred to hospital to have a mouth guard fitted. I used to wear it at night to stop me grinding my teeth. Its quite common. If you have a dentist they can do one for you. S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

TomCrick

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:54:21 PM »
Hi Shaz,

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do; Christ knows that my jaw feels like it's been wound up a few notches at the moment, so it'll be good to get some relief. I've arranged with my mum that she'll keep them at their house and I'll take one with me each day when I go round to see them. Alleviates the pressure. Does your mouth guard work? I'm hoping I won't have to go that far and that it'll just ease in time but at the moment - owwwww!

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »
The mouth guard was fantastic. Its clear so you can't see it when wearing it. I feel for you its sooo painful. I got really bad headaches with it to. I was given jaw exercises to do as well. If you google it you can find the ones they advise you to do. S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Catbrian

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »
I suffer the same jaw problem caused by grinding teeth in my sleep.  Recently that improved immensely since starting new meds which lower the anxiety levels, but it still clicks away when chewing food and occasionally locks...ouch.   I've heard the guard Shaz is talking about is very good

I was once prescribed Amatryptyline to help heal nerve injury and ease the pain.  It's a good idea to give them to your Mum for safe keeping.  Best not to put temptation in your way.  You might find they help the jaw pain over the next couple of weeks.

I was annoyed for you about that stupid Locum GP.  Unfortunately there are a few donuts out there!  :D Try visit your own GP as soon as he returns.  Hopefully he may have alternative suggestions.

As far as the Psychiatrist is concerned... I think the GP's got a bit of a cheek and I wouldn't accept that "very soon" routine.  _-+ It sounds like it might be a positive step forward for you.  Make sure the GP takes you seriously.  I know it's very difficult to stand up to the professionals when we're at our worst, but push for what you are entitled too.

Good luck with it all  $%$

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 07:18:31 AM »
Hi, I agree with what the others have said, especially what Cat said about the locus GP & the Psychiatrist appointment.

Xxx

Catbrian

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »
Hope everything is going okay for you today