Author Topic: How do you relax?  (Read 8968 times)

hope123

• Karma Group
How do you relax?
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
Do you have some sort of outlet for when you start finding depression building up? Or have you found a technique that has fought the horrible feelings?

My outlet is painting, although sometimes my depression will make me feel i'm not good enough, I can't paint because no one likes me. But I paint for me, although it's nice to get comments about my art from time to time, but I try to remember that I want to leave something in this life that I did, that when the horrible things entered my mind, I gave something back when I hide away for so long.
I listen to music and imagine good things, my alterego singing at the top of her voice. I also end up tidying things until they look neat or get rid of things in order to clense the space i'm in.

How about everyone else?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: How do you relax?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 06:31:53 AM »
You must be incredibly strong to be able to do something you enjoy when you're down, I love art and needlework but even though I'm beginning to get to grips with this recent bout of depression I still haven't been able to find the energy and motivation to start again.

Its great you have found things you can do that help you, thank you for sharing, I'm going to try to get my pastels out this evening and do some work on an unfinished painting  :)
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »
I too have found tidying and sorting things can help - also being creative is very theraputic. My writing has taken a bit of a nosedive though  :-[ it tends to come in fits and spurts... which can be very frustrating. Baking also helps - although I end up giving most of it away! xx
This too shall pass.

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:35 AM »
I would love to see some of your work hope123 and zaf.   Sorry munch I'm not a fan of reading :(

Kneading dought to make bread, the rougher you are, the berthed it tastes but I haven't been able to do it for months :(

I do try and go for a shoot in the garden, I only shoot targets or cans though, when I'm really down I don't trust my self with my rifle thoug :(

Fabricating metal things at work is relaxing for me but I get really OCD about sanding, buffing and polishing them until there perfect. I can spend hours doing it to something that no one will ever see.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »
its not very good, but if I do one I think is passable to post I'll see if I can upload it to photobucket and get it on :)

Kneading bread sounds very good therapy,  I only make soda bread cos I havent got the patience to wait for it to rise or once it has cant be bothered to do anything with it  :-[
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

hope123

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:10:48 PM »
I can post up my blog if you want Cornish, and I do have a facebook art page which has my all my art on there.

It is hard sometimes to concentrate, but I got to remember that it's what I love doing, it's what takes me away.

I would love to see your work Zaf! And Munch, I would love to read yours! :)

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
im sure it is better than you think zaf

well ive just had a chat with my little sister whos come home for a few days and she thinks i should get facebook back. im going to do it now
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »
hope, i like your art, the moon one reminds me of the film,  a nightmare before christmas, bloody love that film :)

Karian

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 12:54:36 PM »
I find relaxing really really difficult, a hot bath, candles, Scentsy burner with french lavender or just breathe, and some instumental music or nature sounds :)
Also like crafting card making and digital scrapbooking but I need to take my time with that as my hands are really shaky just now x

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFySnZl2O8o

I put this song on, turn it up and close my eyes! Try it....
This too shall pass.

angel3077

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »
A cuddle with my cat, angel, always relaxes me. I think animals are great. I couldn't of got through my depression without angel and she is helping again this time

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »
A cuddle with my cat, angel, always relaxes me. I think animals are great. I couldn't of got through my depression without angel and she is helping again this time

I completley agree - although I have a dog and he is a biiiig dog - very gentle and very very fluffy (Australian shepherd... we think  :-\) He has been such a lifeline. If I am upset or crying he is right there beside me - and the rest of the time he just follows me around, or acts kind of like my 'gaurd'... even if I'm just hanging the washing out  :P xx
This too shall pass.

angel3077

• Karma Group
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
Aw your dog sounds lovely I used to be a total dog person until I got a cat. I thought cats were stuck up and unpredictable but now I am a total dog and cat lover. Love all anals really.

angel3077

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 11:55:29 AM »
animals not anals  :o :o

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »
Hahahahaha  :P  Thats the kind of mistake I usually make!! Fruedian slip!
This too shall pass.