Author Topic: Wedgie  (Read 10086 times)

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
  • Rest in peace 27th Noverber 2012
Wedgie
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »
 Wedgie is still not eating, except for the flesh he tears from my thumb every time I try to get him to take his heart tablet. He seems to get really animated for a few seconds. He still responds to getting strokes on the top of his head.

I worry because each time I try to feed him a tablet, it seems to stress him out badly, which can’t be a good thing when it’s his heart that is the problem. He doesn't move more than a few feet, and there's no way that he can climb up on any surfaces now. I can't lift him, because this disturbs his lung problem, and distresses him. I really don't know whether I'm just trying to convince myself that he is happy, to keep him with me. At the same time, I'm worried that I'm trying to convince myself that he must be  suffering, and should be taken back to the vet's for the final visit. There's no way that I could take him and stay with him, so I've already offered my friend everything in my bank account if she could stay with him. She had already offered to take him, but that's such a big task to ask of someone, so I think I should pay. I know that's not the way that friendship works.

This is so unimportant compared to the things that are torturing other people in these forums, but I have tried to cut myself off from contact with the world, so Wedgie is my only male friend, and has become very precious to me since I met him. I have ways of distorting reality so that I always get the answer which best suits me, but I'm unable to make any important decisions. Especially one which is so vital to a friend.

To anyone who doesn't know, Wedgie IS a cat, and not my boyfriend. -_)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Wedgie
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:16:36 PM »
This is probably one of the most important things you'll ever do Michael,  its horrible when our beloved pets are ill and we are faced with that final decision  :'(

If he will eat the smallest choice morsel could you crush the tablet in it for him?  Alternatively crush and mix in a little water and syringe it gently into his mouth, thats what we do when its difficult or distressing for them to eat.  Our cat loved tuna or pilchards and would take a little bit even if very ill, we have used best steak in the past too  ::)

I know exactly what you're going through and its awful %^%

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
I feel a bit like the little boy who came home from school one day, and found that his tortoise wasn't moving. He started crying, and said,"Mummy, I'm so sad. I don't know what to do." His mum tried to make him feel better by saying," It's OK. Look, we'll make him comfy in a nice little box and wrap him in a blanket. Then, we'll dig a hole and put him in. We'll Have a little ceremony. You can say what you loved about him, then we'll have some fireworks, and we'll finish it off by having some cream cake." The boy brightened up at this, and ran off to get a shoe box. He got the box, and picked up the tortoise, who promptly poked his head out of his shell. "Look darling, he's alive," said mum. To which the boy, thinking of fireworks and cream cake said, "Let's kill him."

This story has been told better by about 20 billion people at least!  :D

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »
Omg, I hadnt heard it and it made me smile  :D

If I can help in any way, even if its only a shoulder to cry on, please dont hesitate to mail or pm me

Z xxx

Catbrian

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »
My heart is truly broken for you right now, Michael.  My two cats are 13 and I just dread the day you're in now.  And yer, the little boy story cracked me a smile... two in the one week is worrying

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
Thanks for all your kindness. For the first time in a couple of days, he came into the kitchen with me, and watched like a hawk as I opened the fridge. I took the opportunity to take out a few tiny pieces of chicken, and heated them in the microwave for a couple of seconds, just to warm them to body heat. When I put them down for him, he just put his head down, poked the scraps, and then wandered off again. On the plus side, walking to the kitchen was more than he's done for a while, but he was painfully unsteady, and obviously without eating anything, and drinking only tiny amounts of milk or water, there's no way that he can keep his strength up, let alone start to recover. From that aspect alone he might be better off at the vet's, where they can nourish him through an IV drip, and can also get him back on oxygen if his breathing deteriorates, but he doesn't seem distressed, so I might just be looking for an easy way out, just to save me again.

I could try mixing blood in with the tablets, as he seems to be getting a taste for it, but I'm concerned that he might become that most dread of creatures, a Vamcat, and then decide just to sup straight from the source.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »
I dont think you are Michael, you are doing what you think is best for him.  You could try a little glucose in his milk or water if he'll accept it xx

Ezel

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
((((Michael)))) ~ I'm not accepting this as less important than anything else going on.  This is coming from someone who held my cat for the last hour of her life back in Dec 2008.  She was 13 and had a good life without any illness so we had no warning.  It absolutely broke our hearts and I still miss her at times.  You do what you feel most comfortable with ~ it's not an easy decision to make  %^% %^% %^% %^% %^%

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
Oh Michael I do so feel for you.  He looks a gorgeous cat, I love my 2 boys to bits also my 2 girls (dogs) when they are poorly its truely awful.  You are doing all you can for him, I think you would know if he needed to go to the vets, I know when my old ginger tom cat Thomas was poorly and I was so worried about him, my mum said you will know when he needs the vet and I did.  He was not distressed and was happier at home here with us.

You did make me giggle with your story of the little boy and his tortoise  $%$.

Thinking of you Michael

*)* for Wedgie from me Basil and Boris (my 2 little boys)

S x x x x 
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
Latest: I spoke to the vet, and she agreed that he must get some nourishment, so she has given me a tablet to stimulate his appetite. The worrying news is that this sometimes causes cats to get a bit grumpy. I was a little concerned about my thumb, but we COULD be looking at my left arm now. Still, if that's what he wants when he gets hungry...
Sadly for the rest of you, I'll still be able to type with my right hand. ;)  =+-

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
:) :) its good that the vet is helping with something to boost his appetite. Is it more tablets? Will we be seeing on the news cat eats owners arm? ;). Hope it works. ((((( big hugs ))))) for Wedgie. S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »
Hope it works without you suffering too much damage Michael  ;)

Z xx

Ezel

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Same here  =+- , unfortunately my lil Tasha has a wild streak in her.  One minute she is cute, cuddly and adorable, the next she goes for the jugular ... well not literally but she will hang from our arms using her teeth and claws to grip.  She's not adverse to keeping the dogs in their places either and will whack their noses, hang from Chyna's neck and sink her teeth into Bruno's tail yet they all sleep together "£$

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »
I think it will work, the appetite stimulant they give cats is mirtazapine. Which makes humans eat like there's no tomorrow. Your arm may not be safe....  ^-^

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 09:17:58 PM »
Yes, mirtazapine, that's the one. It's good to know that it can work. He's been such a good friend to me.  -_) Thank you all.