Author Topic: what are you listening to?  (Read 9441 times)

Munchroom

• Karma Group
Re: what are you listening to?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »
I tend to listen to all sorts of things - When I am feeling low though, I do tend to listen to a lot of Garbage. Shirley Manson is pretty much an idol in my eyes!! Knowing that she has battled depression most of her life and has still achieved the things that she has is very very reassuring at times.

I think one of thier most powerful songs is The Trick Is To Keep Breathing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBz8iXdddqY I adore this song - and then I found out that Shirley Manson wrote it after reading a book of the same title, which I subsequently bought and am now partway through!

But there are so many that I listen to the lyrics and really get the feeling that someone else understands (I won't link them all because some of the lyrics could be triggering) . Bleed Like Me (the title pretty much says it all...) Why Do You Love Me?, Silence Is Golden, Only Happy When it Rains, Medication, Drive You Home, Untouchable, I Think I'm Paranoid... the list goes on!
This too shall pass.

George

• Karma Group
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUU4Brp0nfQ&feature=fvst[/youtube]

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:32:53 PM by George »
To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.
Woody Allen

seamie

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »
i,m listening to the manic street preachers. the best band in the world !!!!!!!!! ;)

George

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 02:26:16 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxRnDOA2YOc&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/youtube]
Woody Allen

George

• Karma Group
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 05:06:48 PM »
Have spent a lot of time playing this today, it helps to keep the depression, and therefore the alcohol intake at bay. Enjoy!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WpdSh8VYd4[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:14:21 PM by George »
Woody Allen

D 2006

• Karma Group
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
I really don't know what to do without my iPods. I find music helps a lot. Not when I'm really down - just  down. I like a broad spectrum of music and find different music for different downers, I once went through a 'Death Metal' phase which was great for my anxiety  />.

I also find listening to audiobooks on my iPod VERY helpful because it does not require as much concentration as actual 'reading' where I tend to start reading the same line over and over.

Macfly

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »
I find music about sadness to be the most uplifting. Elliot Smith & Jon Brion are beautifully poetic. When I'm in a happy mood, one of my nostalgic records os the first Artic Monkeys LP, reminds me of easier times and the life I used to live, was so relatable when it came out.

D 2006

• Karma Group
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 03:39:41 AM »
Foo Fighters new album 'Wasting Light' - The track "Walk" I can relate to coming out of a depression. Makes me feel happy and sad at the same time.

manintheshadows

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
one of the symptoms/problems of experiencing depression for me is that things/interests which afre usually my life blood become really difficult.music is one-whilst im not a musician,im not just a passive fan.at various times in my life ive been actively involved with music as a promoter/manager,campaigner,teacher/writer.music really is mostly lifeblood and soundtrack.

it can enhance and contribute to mood change but when im depressed like now it either turns ash grey like dust and any imaginative,creative response i might have is emptied out or i find myself ine th difficult maelstrom of alienation-distress-rage which for me is the key symbol of my depression.

i dont want to feel sorry for myself though.given my professional background and training,when in depression i find my tendency/ability to self observe with a distorted kind of interest,really extremely irritating.so if im stuck with it im determined to make it useful.

that said the effort required,to self observe and engage in any activity that ius usually important for me,is in turn really exhausting.

i dont mean to be perverse,but im just glad that "happiness",whatever that is,is not particularly important to me.being authentic and living a life fully is much more important for me.

seamie

• Karma Group
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
well i,m still listening to the manic street preachers ;)

endlos

• Karma Group
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 03:30:27 AM »
I keep posting lately, and really hope it does,t bug anyone. I am new and panicking with my g.ps diagnosis of depression. I am in myself panicking, that I don't want to be here in this situation, but hell ok I am. I would really like to keep chatting here and reply to new members, and to try to get everyone posting with everyday things.

seamie

• Karma Group
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 06:07:15 AM »
hi endlos, you keep on posting,and try not to panic too much. theres lots of people to chat with. were all in this together.  ;)

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »
i listen to virtually anything but recently i keep listening to the streets, a grand dont come for free album in order, i like the way that if you listen all the way though its a brilliant story, i some feel like i can relate to it and it relaxes me.
i also spend a lot of time listening to dub step as its random yet repetitive and thats the way i see my life now.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 02:25:08 PM »
You lost money down the back of your tv?!

I'm having a bit of a 30 Seconds to Mars day..... partly for the music, partly for Jared leto  *&^

The dub step version of Muse - Knights of Cydonia is pretty good!
This too shall pass.

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
not exactly but im always loosing things, they normally turn up in the fridge though haha

i love closer to the edge

just listened to it n love it.   i love cragga's mix of mr postman
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.