Author Topic: Ruby Wax talking to people about depression  (Read 4789 times)

joethfc

• Karma Group
Re: Ruby Wax talking to people about depression
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 11:19:16 PM »
Not to forget Stephen Fry, who has been open about his problem with manic-depression for years.
I love him for that. Its amazing, that people like Ruby Wax, Stephen Fry or Eddie Izzard, who are professional comedians suffer from depression, in fact a lot of creative people do.
I still think though that it does make a difference whether you are famous or just a person who has an everyday job and lives an everyday life.

I actually think the humour is quite common in depressives, it's just a good way of improving your mood and also being accepted by others. I also think that the condition goes well with creativity because creativity is given permission to come and go unlike more practical abilities.
"It's only life."

Catbrian

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 01:46:56 AM »
Totally agree with Joe

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 07:46:28 AM »
I saw the first third or so then fell asleep, RW still irritates me but what I saw was good, will watch the test later!
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Cinderella

• Karma Group
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »
I really liked watching the programme yesterday and felt so much better.
I can see that she can be irritating, but most of the time, when she is really listening and you can see how she identifies with the people who tell her about their depression, there is genuine care.

I sort of thought, well , if you have the money to be going to the Priory....!!! most of us don't....
but I am glad she is better.

Also it was interesting to watch how she coped with it when her children were younger (about the same age as my children are 11 and 13). How she wanted to protect them. Now that they are grown up, its open.

Its such a relief to openly talk about depression. :D

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
I thought the interview with her docor was interesting and lthough my husband s very understanding about my depression I'm going to ask him to watch that bit.

My thoughts about the Priory were very similar - if you have money you can get the treatment you need when you need it, no waiting 12 months for 6 half hour sessions of counselling and a well meaning doctor that has limited experience ith the illness.

RW came over as very sincere despite being irritating (I think its the voice), its good to get the subject out in the open, pity it couldnt have been earlier in the evening and on a main channel

Cinderella

• Karma Group
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »
Yes. Doctor seemed to be a very pleasant character. ::)

woozywoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
Strange 2 say,but I really enjoyed the programme. I think what she is doin is great 2 highlight the plight of ppl suffering with mental health issue. And proving that they can be normal ppl as well as the next Joe Blogs.

Also just finished watching the maddest job interview. The process they went through was very interesting,and the outcome even more so. It made me cringe listening 2 the employers opinions of ppl with mental health at the beg of the programme.

I see myself as a liability because I am off work. I know I have added extra stress to the ppl who have had 2 pick up after me while I am off. But I also know that I am very good at my job and always have high praise for what I do. So why should me bein of with depression be different 2 bein off for tripping and breaking my leg?

Like ruby wax said,we have illness for every other part of the body why not the brain??

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »
She definitely is doing something fantastic, its really great she's highlighting the illness

Anthony 996

• Karma Group
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
If Im honest watching the programme was a help to me and in a way helped me with my first post on this Forum.

Getting past the stigma is a huge thing for me. Sorry if that sounds daft but just that small bit of encouragement has helped..

I really do struggle with concentrating on TV but it was one programme in fact the only programme ive watched in a very long time.

Ant.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
It doesnt sound daft at all Ant, its very difficult to get over the stigma unfortunately

Z xx

woozywoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »
That doesnt sound daft at all Ant!

The stigma surrounding mental health issues is absolutely awful. Only now after nearly 17ish years of suffereing myself am i able to say, i have depression. Its part of me. I have good times, sometimes bad, but that doesnt change who i am. And it is something that i have had to LEARN not to be ashamed of because of other peoples thoughts and opinions.

That programme was worth airing if only one person has sought help because of it. Getting help and opening up is hard to do, but you have done it. So welcome to the forum and well done for coming to speak to us!

xx

Catbrian

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
I recently "came out" about my own depression to some people around me.  Somehow I struggle with feeling shame, often embarrassed.  I found most people didn't flinch... made me wonder why I'd hidden it all these years.