Author Topic: the list for book club and our first book choice  (Read 8766 times)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: the list for book club and our first book choice
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
I'm not really sure what I made of it, I read to the end expecting an explanation for the old Aunt's weird behaviour and to find out what wrong had been done to Flora's father.

I'm sure normal people didnt get bothered the bull was kept in a dark smelly shed or the horse appeared to be badly treated and I didnt understand the bits about parts of the cows' anatomy dropping off (or have I got that totally wrong?)

I'm not sure if the author was poking fun at the ways of strange country folk or the interfering Flora, one day I will read again (when I'm feeling better physically and mentally) to see if I get the same impressions.
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Maddymoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2012, 12:09:29 AM »
Those weird bits made me laugh, how can you not notice your cow's leg falling off, and then not know where it is?

I wanted an explanation as to the wrong that was done to flora's father, and what were her rights?

With regards to the mad aunt, I think she probably stumbled across two lovebirds getting up to rudeness in the woodshed, and simply learned to use that trauma to her advantage as he got older and saw how she could manipulate the family to get her own way

Maddy

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 05:34:33 AM »
I thonk you're right about the aunt, possibly a bit batty too

whiteadder

• Karma Group
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 01:38:20 PM »
I'm trying not to read your replies as I'm about 1/3 through...like it so far...if only families still worked like that...taking one another in  I mean
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
Sorry whiteadder, I think it may have been expected in those days

Z x

whiteadder

• Karma Group
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »
So far I think the main character is a bit of a snob.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »
Could that be the way the class system worked in those days?

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2012, 09:45:14 PM »
Let us know when you've finished Whiteadder, then I'll explain why I picked it

Ezel

« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
Just to let everybody know I will be taking my name off the list as I am really struggling to read books at the moment.  Well I am reading but can only manage a few pages at a time.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
As I'm fairly useless at this Alex is going to take over again  _)_

mrmoody

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
Zaf you aint useless, your under alot of pressure. Just to let you all know I will be taking over again as Zaf is ill and I dont think its fair on me to be giving her extra pressure. Sorry I couldnt be around to fulfill my role but what with starting a new job, pressures at home with all the crap going off here and feeling very screwed up emotionally I didnt think it was right for me to run it. I will fullfill what I started as I only think thats fair. Let me check when the next book choice is due and whos up next and will PM them and sort it. Thanks to Zaf for being so kind(as she always is, great friend that she is to me) to have run it for a wee while.

mrmoody

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »
ok so its me. I would like you all to read The Road by Cormac Mcarthy. Warning though, this book maybe depressing to some and I am fore-warning you now that this is not an easy read. But please remember that it is fiction and remember to look outside your window and appreciate the beauty around us in the world. And each other