Author Topic: the list for book club and our first book choice  (Read 8765 times)

whiteadder

• Karma Group
Re: the list for book club and our first book choice
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
I love my kindle for 2 reasons

The screen is so easy on the eyes..like a real book

No need to drive around looking for a book, or wait for it to arrive in the post. Just click and there it is.

:)
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »
I must admit, my friend who is a massive bookworm loves her kindle and keeps on at me to get one so that she can send me books.... but I love real books! I love the smell of the pages, the handling of them, I like how every book looks and feels different, I enjoy turnig the pages and trying not to drop them whilst I'm in the bath (although I suppose that aspect would be the same with a kindle...) I enjoy seeing my bookshelves stacked with books and groaning under the weight of them. I guess at 27, I'm pretty old fashioned. I've never owned an Apple product either...
This too shall pass.

XSqueakX

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »
HERE! HERE! Munchroom

if you think your old fashioned for thnking that at 27 then that must make me really old fasioned cuz I'm only 24 and I agree with you 100%. i have no interest in the latest technology for books. It'll always be the real thing for me lol x

mrmoody

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
I am with you on this, like the feel of a book etc. people with Kindle love them though so must be something good about them. Same with Apple products, people who own them love them. I refused to buy an iPod a few years ago and got Creative Zen instead. wouldnt be a sad loss though if bookshops and libraries were lost, what a sad loss for society

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
I like both, I'm a terrible bookworm and my books probably number over a couple of hundred, I love secondhand bookshops too, I can lose myself in them for hours :)
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »
I hate to think of a world where there are no bookshops  :( Losing libraries is bad enough!
This too shall pass.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »
We still have one in our local market town but since its 'refurbishment' it seems to have half the books it used to :(

XSqueakX

• Karma Group
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »
I think many people don't appreciate libraries as much as they use too anymore. Especially the young generation they associate it with being boring, which is a shame. I've quite recently started taking my children to the library and have made it a weekly thing and they absolutly love it. We could easily sit there all day just reading lots of fun stories (mainly doggy stories) it's also great quality time you get with your kids. Now that's something a kindle can't give you.

Ezel

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »
munchroom,  if you're old fashioned then I'm an antique because I LOVE books, everything about them, just picking one up gives me a warm glow of holding something that isn't going to change and still give me pleasure.

whiteadder

• Karma Group
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »
If I had to choose, I'd lose the kindle and keep the library. Take my kids there every week too and it never fails to disappoint. Kindle comes in handy for the esoteric stuff that neither the library nor the bookshop tend to have.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

mrmoody

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 08:49:04 AM »
I guess both have their good points and can co-exist happily. How is everyone getting on with the book? anyone finished yet?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
Struggling a bit but hoping I'll get into it better once I'm past the preliminaries

Maddymoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
I'm nowhere near finished! I'm finding it hard to get into at the mo, but il get there!

Maddy

mrmoody

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 11:07:23 PM »
theres no rush, take your time even if you dont finish it

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
Going to the library tomorrow :)
This too shall pass.