Author Topic: Fluoxetine / quetiapine  (Read 3431 times)

st331red

Fluoxetine / quetiapine
« on: February 06, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »
Hi folks. Taken me a while to post but have been reading the forums for a while.

I have been on fluoxetine since Sept 2012 - I had been suffering from depression for a while and at my worst wanted to and made plans to end my life. I was in a fairly large mess and spoke to a friend who helped me to seek help.

I was initially on 20mg which was quickly increased to 40mg after 4 weeks and again to 60mg after a visit to a psychiatrist.

All the time I have been on it I have not slept well and in December began experiencing side effects which coincided with the doctor introducing 25 mg of quetiapine to help me sleep.

While I was able to sleep I experienced what can best be described as an 'all day hangover' and laterally severe bowel problems ( cramping constipation and rectal bleeding after bowel movements)

My Gp recommended that I cease the quetiapine - which I did 5 days ago - the bowel problems have meanwhile worsened and are coupled with muscle pain, sleep disruption and generally feeling fairly unwell again.

I wanted to see if anyone had experienced similar issues or had any advice

Thanks

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: Fluoxetine / quetiapine
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:31:23 PM »
Hello and welcome, sorry but I have not been on either medication but I am sure others have. I think you should really go back to your dr to discuss the problems you are having.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Catbrian

Re: Fluoxetine / quetiapine
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
How long were you on the Quetiapine?  It is true it can upset the bowels and maybe your bowels were also upset due to the discontinuation.  Maybe your system needs a few days to settle