Author Topic: Hi I'm new to this  (Read 3636 times)

Kirstylw

Hi I'm new to this
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:15:10 PM »
Has anyone gradually reduced citalopram to change onto duloxetine?

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: Hi I'm new to this
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:47:08 PM »
Hi, yes I have. My phych Dr who I was in under at the time switched me straight from Citalopram to Duloxetine.  He prescribed me clonazepam to take ove 2 weeks to help with change over.  This was 3 years ago and I am still on Duloxetine.

Anything else I can help with please ask.

X x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:43:01 PM »
Hi Kirsty, welcome to the forums. never heard of duloxetine,
but i switched from citalopram to certraline with no probs.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »
Welcome Kirsty.

I haven't switched from one anti depressant to another, there has always been a break.

Kirstylw

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.

I was on 40mg of citalopram and have just finished doing 5 days at 30mg, today I'm feeling not very steady on my feet, slight shakes, feeling sick. Tonight I start taking 20mg for 5 days then 3 days at 10mg. After this I have to start the deloxetine.
Has anyone else had side effects from reducing an antidepressant?

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »
Hello Kirstylw!

I have indeed changed antidepressants a few times during the last four years, but I haven't had any bad side effects. I think that it depends on each one. Surely having to go down to 10 mg. before switching to duloxetine may be quite hectic if you somehow already feel sick. Please take it easy on you these days and try to have plenty of rest .... if you really so bad don't think it twice to call your doctor as you may be asked to take something to ease the symptoms ..... then once you start on duloxetine which is an SNRI, meaning it will work both on serotonin and noradrenaline, you will probably feel better!
I have used duloxetine for a while as I was taking it to help me with migraines, but it was not the right one for me, especially in preventing migraines.
When I had to change meds I was really frightened reading some experiences of other people on the web ..... but then it turned better for me as the next med was a fine-tuning of the previous one or because it was not working for me.
So let's hope this fine-tuning for you will work positively!! These days you will be in my thoughts so do write if it helps you to feel better!!

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 04:40:39 PM »
Sorry I di not sign!
All the best!
Grace

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 11:39:50 PM »
I suffered no side effects thankfully as I was prescribed Clonazepam to help with the change over. If you are suffering or worried about side effects, then maybe a chat with your Dr would be beneficial, he/she maybe able to prescribe something to help.  I have personally found Duloxetine to be the best anti depressant for me.

X x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:37:50 PM »
no side efrfects here, but then the switch from citalopram to sertraline was straight change over, this was because i sak dock for something to help sleep, she put me on amy's, they dont go with citalopram, but ok with sertraline. and the sert and cital are just about the same

alex1973

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »
hello and welcome. Not taken the one you mentioned other than citilopram which I utterly hated due to side effects. Yes usually suffer with side effects which has put me off taking most anti-depressants or medications. I just seem to be sensitive to most of them and struggle with them. I take Trazadone currently which I seem to be ok with, which makes a change from the usual horrendous side effects.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »
thyink i took Trazadone many years ago, but it didnt work for me, no bad side effects, it just didnt do anything.