Author Topic: New member  (Read 2670 times)

Lawa

« on: March 26, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
Hi all,

Bit of history I am 28 and had my daughter two years ago. I have been pretty sure in all of this time I have been suffering with postnatal depression but have never raised it.
Two weeks ago I went to the doctors and told him everything. I don’t want to leave the house I am not sleeping (I go to bed fin and wake for hours in the early morning) Lonely Isolated ect. The doctor immediately put me on 20mg of citalopram. Now 2.5 weeks on I am really anxious with work I have had 2 nights full sleep in 15. (I am a sales rep so have a stressful job that currently I am not performing well) .

My partner is trying to help but he does not understand he trys to force me to talk and he tells me to stop worrying about things. I am a natural worrier and this is my personality. I get panicky when my boss rings and end up with palpitations ect. I know this is ramblings I just don’t seem to see the end of the tunnel I have started self-harming by cutting for the first time in a long time I just need some support.
Laura

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
Hi Laura, it does take a little while for citalopram to work ~ I was taking it for several months ~ but it's worth having a chat with your doctor about feeling panicky.  He or she might put citalopram up to 40mg.  If it still doesn't work there are other anti depressants.  What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for some one else.  We do understand here though. 

Lawa

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:45:38 PM »
Hi Pip,

Thank you for your response I am seeing my GP tomorrow I am hoping he will put my dose up as my anxiety is definatley increasing more than ever.

I am drinking more and more and earlier in the day, and smoking a lot more as well these are sort of my crutches to get through the day.

I seem to be isolating myself from the real world more and more and becoming a hermit. I have lost contact with all of my friends I am close with my parents and see them once a week. My dad at my age had a nervous break down and severe panic attacks and was never medicated for it. Everyone tried to put me of prescription meds and wanted me to take st johns wort ect and I sort of get looked down on because i have been strong for so long. I had 7 miscarriages before my daughter ect.

Sorry i seem to be spilling my guts here for the first time in a long time..

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:51:59 PM »
Hello and welcome.  By taking medication does not mean you are not strong, you are I'll, people take medication for many things.  I hope your Dr is sympathetic with you tomorrow.  Explain as best you can how you have been feeling.  As Pip has already said meds can take a while to work. There are many different types so what works for one person doesn't work for another.

You have been through traumatic times with your miscarriages, I so feel for you.

X x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »
hi Lawa, i think citalopram is one on the milder anti depressents, and can indeed take a while to build up in your system.
but be sure to tell your doc if the citalopram is not working, they can up the dose to a max of 40 mg, or try you on one of the other medications around.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Lawa

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »
Thanks all i went to the doctor this morning they have changed my med to 50mg of sertraline 100mg if need and I have been signed of for two weeks.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
Hi Laura

I hope Sertraline helps you. The maximum you can take is 200 mg so you have room to go higher. Pfizer, who make it, make a bold claim. They say improvement may happen in 7 days of taking it. As long as it works eventually.

Love

Steve
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 09:02:37 PM »
That's good.  Hopefully the new meds will help.  I am glad you have been signed off work for a couple of weeks, it will take that pressure off you.

X x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.