Author Topic: Not sure what to do  (Read 3038 times)

Giles

Not sure what to do
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
My ex-fiancé and I recently broke up, she has suffered with severe depression for years but seemed fine for a long time, back in November she had work related issues and was signed off work for a while returning part time and working from home in the afternoons her doctor prescribed her fluoxetine in large doses as soon as she a short while later she said she was unhappy with our relationship and became distant at times we agreed I would move out and stay local so we could try and make the relationship work as soon as I was out she then said she no longer loved me and was ott with telling people including me how happy she suddenly was and felt free however mutual friends have told me she isn't doing that we'll at all I have tried being supportive but she has completely shut me out. She pursued me for months and even proposed to me and was so happy talking about her perfect life. Should I just give up and move on or keep trying to be supportive and hope we can sort things out. The break up is tearing me apart inside and I'm struggling to keep my distance from her any advice would be great

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
Re: Not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
Hi Giles, welcome to the forums,
Depression can put a lot of strain on relationships, from the sound of things you are doing the best you can under the circumstances. The lady in question is fortunate to have someone who wants to stand by her in such a way and be supportive as you want to be.

Try giving things a little time to settle down and take things slow.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Giles

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
Thanks Stewart that helps

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
As tough as it is you are being supportive and it's not that uncommon for people suffering with depression to push loved onrs away.  Mu husband and I have done it to each others over the year.  It does sound like your ex girlfriend is trying to convine people she is happy and coping but stick around for her.

Giles

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »
Hi pip thanks she has completely shut me out I text her about a new job opportunity today not even a thanks she says she wants me to move on and be happy without her I want to help but she says she is fine and ignores any attempt to communicate with me when I try it's getting to the point whereby I feel I should just stop and hope she gets well on her own but it's hard not too try when you love and care for someone

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »
My advice would be to send the odd text saying that you hope she is OK and that you bare there for her if she needs you.  Suffering myself, we do shut others out.  I felt guilty for being I'll and felt a burden to my hubby.

My thoughts are with you.

X x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Giles

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »
Thanks wise words and appreciate your kindness