Author Topic: Should I be taking Citalopran?  (Read 3630 times)

vwone

• Karma Group
Should I be taking Citalopran?
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »
I have recently been feeling very low, this is the first time I have felt like this is in 40 years and there is no significant trigger. Everything from work to home is fine I have spent some time thinking about the past and this is what has driven me to feel low but even this is not terrible. Last week I was really low crying all the time and felt like I was going mad, why couldn’t I think like I did the week before? I was already having some counselling for anxiety so in desperation I went to my GP. He has given me Citalopran, having never had any medication like this I am concerned about the side effects and if I really even need it. I am on 20mg a day it does make me a little nauseas but not too bad I am on day 5 today and from yesterday I have felt nothing not happy or low. This may be better than I was but whilst I was low I still had lots of affection for people that seems to have gone now could this be the medication or just me getting better. I am concerned about the reduced sex drive that I have read about I am feeling like that but is that possible after just 5 days of the AD? Up until I started taking it sex was definitely not an issue.

I know that all probably sounds quite confusing a bit like I feel, I am sure taking it is making me more anxious. The GP said it was fully safe but all I read about are side effects and withdrawal symptoms. I am tempted to stop taking it for a few days and see how I feel?

bookletters

• Karma Group
Re: Should I be taking Citalopran?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »
Hello and welcome!
From the symptoms you describe it sounds like you have depression. The loss of affection for your family etc sound like a symptom of depression. Please remember that this is temporary and you will not always feel like this.
Antidepressant medication take on average 4-6 weeks to become fully effective. Therefore, the symptoms you describe are more likely to be caused by your depression rather than by citalopram which is a perfectly safe drug. I think it is very important you give your treatment a chance to work. I would highly recommend you do not interrupt your treatment without your doctor's consent.
If you have concerns about citalopram, perhaps you should book an appointment to go see your GP again, he will be able to help.
In the meantime, we are here if you have any question or if you need to talk.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:56:59 AM »
Hello and welcome  +-_.  Sometimes we do have side effects from medication but they do tend to wear off as they start to work.  If you are concerned ask your dr to explain to put your mind at ease.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

vwone

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »
Hello and welcome!
From the symptoms you describe it sounds like you have depression. The loss of affection for your family etc sound like a symptom of depression. Please remember that this is temporary and you will not always feel like this.

Thanks both for your replies, I think this is one of my concerns driving my anxiety that I will always feel like this now

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »
It's a very common symptom of depression. Worrying that you are going to be stuck like this forever.... think we've all been through this!
Remember your mind is playing tricks on you so try not to listen to what it is telling you. It is not true!!

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
Just a word about citalopram being a safe drug. For a start they exacerbate bleeding disorders, I think including ulcers. But the real problem is sex. Something like 60% of people who take SSRI’s develop sexual problems, which is pretty high.The vast majority disappear when you stop the drug but not all and not necessarily quickly. Medicine has recently coined a new phase Post SSSI Sexual Dysfunction. This covers people whose sexual problems persist, possibly permanently. I can’t give you a figure for permanent dysfunction other than to say it is very small. SSRI’s were promoted as having a better side effect profile than the Tricyclics but they have turned out to have significant side effects of their own.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

vwone

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
Just a word about citalopram being a safe drug. For a start they exacerbate bleeding disorders, I think including ulcers. But the real problem is sex. Something like 60% of people who take SSRI’s develop sexual problems, which is pretty high.The vast majority disappear when you stop the drug but not all and not necessarily quickly. Medicine has recently coined a new phase Post SSSI Sexual Dysfunction. This covers people whose sexual problems persist, possibly permanently. I can’t give you a figure for permanent dysfunction other than to say it is very small. SSRI’s were promoted as having a better side effect profile than the Tricyclics but they have turned out to have significant side effects of their own.
This is a concern, I will keep my eye on this and monitor the situation is the same for all SSRI's as I have a Dr's appt next week about how I am getting on?

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »
Well, depression in itself causes sexual dysfunction, all the more so if it is untreated!!!!
When I am out of the woods I don't suffer from sexual dysfunction despite taking an SNRI....