Author Topic: What meds could I try that won't cause sexual dysfunction?  (Read 5510 times)

torie

What meds could I try that won't cause sexual dysfunction?
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »
I was wondering if anyone might have some idea what meds I could ask to try. Here are all the meds I've been on and the problems with each:
Prozac: couldn't orgasm, increased libido, awesome for mood though
Pristiq: didn't help depression (still couldn't orgasm)
Cipralex: didn't help depression (still couldn't orgasm)
Cymbalta: helped depression, destroyed libido, delayed orgasm
Wellbutrin: was only on it for ten days, gave me a partial seizure in my left arm

My doc (who referred me to a psychiatrist) told me I might have to try an MAOI next because I've already tried the newer groups with no success. I'm scared of MAOIs (though the selegiline patch might be okay). I'm seeing the psychiatrist at the end of this month and I want to have some ideas, since some of them are pretty open to suggestion in my experience. A huge problem for me is that I'm in a long term relationship, and my libido is utterly dead after being on Cymbalta. I have been off it since June (I took a break between it and Wellbutrin) and I still don't even want to have sex EVER. Before I started taking ADs about 5 years ago, I had a high sex drive but now I have none, and it makes me even more depressed.

So how are MAOIs for sexual functioning? Is there anything else that might be okay? Any atypicals that are good? I need help. :(

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: What meds could I try that won't cause sexual dysfunction?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »
Sorry no idea :(

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Catbrian

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »
Hi Tori... Sorry, just noticed your post..

Erm... I had sexual dysfunction on Prozac, Sertraline and one other I can't remember name.  Not sure what groups these fall under MAOI's or whatever... haven't a clue

When I went on Citalopram a few years ago, I had minor sexual dysfunction for the first 4 weeks but then it subsided.  More recently, I have started Mirtazapine with absolutely no side effects.

Give it a few days, some other members might eventually share their knowledge, which is much more advanced than mine.

Trouble with changing meds a lot is not giving yourself enough time to completely get used to the AD.  You appear to have been on more pills than I have taken in the past 12 years.  What period of time have you been using the meds you list?

Good luck... changing meds is never easy

PMD1911

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »
 Hi there,

I have been on a few antidepressants before I found the right one for me, see below;

Citalopram - minimal sexual dysfunction

Mirtazipine - no sexual dysfunction

Amitriptyline - moderate sexual dysfunction

Venlafaxine - moderate sexual dysfunction (current meds)

All of these (except citalopram) were/are at maximum dose.

I hope this helps.

James

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
James
Not wishing to be critical but I thought your post was a bit misleading. The only information that counts in this field is percentage of people who experience sexual difficulties in properly controlled trials.

You beat the odds with Citalopram in a big way. Actually the percentage of people taking it who get sexual effects is 60 odd %. All the SSRI group come in between Prozac at around 50% and Paroxetine which is the worst at around 70%

Mirtazepine which you did well on still has a side effect rate of 25%. The other drugs you mention have sexual effect rates between Mirtazepine and the SSRI’s.

If someone asks for advice on a drug with low sexual side effects there is only really one candidate –Moclobamide which has a sexual side effect rate of 3.9%,with the subsidiary advice of avoid the SSRI’s as a priority. You can put all this sort of information together from Google. There ought to be a comprehensive list somewhere.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

PMD1911

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
It's not at all misleading, it is simply my account of the drugs I have tried. I'm not bothered about other drugs or percentages. I just wanted to be helpful by providing my information on the drugs I have tried and how they affected me. Yes you're right I'm sure all the information is available on google but clearly torie wanted information from real people who have had real experiences.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »
I’m sorry if I offended you in some way it wasn’t my intention. But your experiences show which side of the odds you fell on. If you are deciding what drug to take you need to know what the underlying odds actually are.
Love
Steve
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Catbrian

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
Well, from my own personal experience, I did agree with PMD's account, although Venlafaxine I haven't tried.  Amitriptyline I tried many years ago for nerve healing, I quickly came off it due to SD.

It's no surprise everyone's account of SD differs

bendymind

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
I've been on Paroxetine for many years and convinced my SD is down to them

I was ok on 10mg but going to 20mg has left me with no drive (desire) at all.

Dr has now got me cutting down to 10mg this week then start Mertazipan and gradually change over

This week I've had the usual electric head effects but mood is fine

I take my first mertazipan tonight so we will see how it goes

mrnotsomoody

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »
was just going to suggest mitrazapine, I had no issues with that

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »
Lundbeck's brand new antidepressant "vortioxetine" causes very little side effects and no sexual dysfunction....

Catbrian

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »
I use Mirtazapine with absolutely no side effects.

Bendymind is the first person I've heard talk of the "electric head" effect.  Whenever I'm reducing or forget to take AD's I get a sensation that resembles little electric currents going from the head to my finger tips and toes.  Whenever I mentioned to GP's, they claim never to have heard of it.  However, my new Psychiatrist agreed immediately that it is a withdrawal effect.... thank God, I'm not that crazy after all!!!

Good luck with your new meds

mrnotsomoody

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 12:20:42 AM »
Weird you should mention that, just today my friend described it exactly like that and referred to it as an "electric feeling in his head" when he first came off lithium some years back.

Catbrian

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 06:42:44 PM »
All the Docs I asked, claimed they'd never heard of it, but as soon as I asked the Psychiatrist last month, she immediately said it's AD withdrawal...  It's a very nasty sensation and, in my experience, can last a few weeks, until my body is no longer missing whatever drug I came off.  It doesn't only happen with AD, I find other meds can do the same

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
I experienced the brain zaps when I changed from one anti depressant to another. My info leaflet in my duloxetine actually mentions these as a withdrawal symptom. S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.