Author Topic: Free anti-virus protection  (Read 1361 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Free anti-virus protection
« on: October 03, 2018, 11:07:27 AM »
Pip approved this blatent advertising overnight because I had such an amazing experience with it on Monday.

AVG (https://www.avg.com/en-gb/homepage#pc) has both a free and a paid for version and I love the company even more now.

I've used AVG for years and they've caught viruses several times.  I already had a multiple devices account but signed up for a single computer trial for some reason too... that's where the problems started - purely my fault.

I was sent an email at the weekend saying that the trial was coming to an end and that the amount (£49.99) would be taken automatically I panicked about being left without virus protection (mistake number two) even though my account said that I was protected until January 2020 so didn't do anything about it (mistake number 3).

Sunday night comes along and the money is taken from my PayPal.

I panic and get on to AVG's website, sent them a stroppy paragraph and a wonderful agent explained that I had two versions on my account.  The single computer one and the multiple devices one.  Either one would give me all the cover I needed so what did I want to do?

I asked which version I'd been billed for.

The single computer one says he.

I asked him if I could get rid of that account and get a refund.

No probs says he... give me a couple of minutes.

Less than a minute later I get an email to say that the single computer protection had been cancelled and the refund was in the process of going through.

Five minutes later I get an email from PayPal saying that they'd had a refund started by AVG and that it'd take 5-7 days to reach my account.

The AVG agent asked if there was anything else he could help me with.

I almost had to pick my jaw up from the floor.

In under 15 minutes I'd gone from my blood pressure through the roof and almost in tears to being shocked by how easy it had been!

I'm still protected until January 2020 and PayPal is processing the refund this week.  I'll have the money back in my account by Monday and it had all been my fault yet the AVG bod didn't blame me or try and force me into keeping both... he just accepted that I didn't want both bits of software and started the refund request as soon as I asked for it!

It's been the first thing I installed after getting an internet connection for years and after the weekend's experience it'll still be the first thing I do.

Maybe download the free version and keep it on a USB stick or CD or whatever so that you're protected as soon as you get your new computer, before you've even got an internet connection.

Seriously, get AVG to protect you while you're online.  You can't do any better.  Promise.
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Bestyboy

Re: Free anti-virus protection
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing this free anti-virus. But I am happy with Kaspersky. Though this isn't free but serving me well atleast this ensure me for 1 year. lol

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Re: Free anti-virus protection
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 07:36:01 PM »
Glad you're happy with Kaspersky, Bestyboy.  Does it let you set up automatic scanning of your whole computer, protect you from Malware and blocks your sensitive documents from prying eyes too please?  I'm glad you're protected, but it's AVG from now on for me... trying to get my mum to use it too lol
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.