Author Topic: Hi, I'm new here!  (Read 2021 times)

Ally74

Hi, I'm new here!
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Ally and i have suffered depression for more that 15 years. Recently i've stopped my fluoxetine so i thought i'd join a forum for more support  :)

Ezel

Re: Hi, I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »
Hi and welcome

Ally74

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:44 PM »
Thankyou.. is there a specific section of the forum that is used for medication and coming off?

crgchaz

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:39:10 AM »
Hi Ally, new to site same as you, just been diagnosed same as you, but unlike you have just gone onto fluox, bit worried about having been on now for 3 weeks and stupidly now worrying about when i come off! How long have you been off? and is there any effect yet?

Ally74

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:24:35 AM »
Hi Ally, new to site same as you, just been diagnosed same as you, but unlike you have just gone onto fluox, bit worried about having been on now for 3 weeks and stupidly now worrying about when i come off! How long have you been off? and is there any effect yet?

Hello there,

Mines is a bit of a long story really but will try & break it down for you.

I was given a few different anti-depressants over 15 yrs ago and fluoxetine was the only one that worked really well. In the last few years i took up running (a run for charity due to a close relative being diagnosed with cancer) and in the past 6 months i have been able to cut down my meds to a tablet every second day, sometimes every third day. I've been seeing my GP quite a lot lately and we decided to try and stop them to see how i go.
This is my second week now and i'm starting to feel really dizzy and very disorientated. I still try and get out to do my running but these side effects are causing problems.

So how is it working for you? I wouldn't worry about having to come off them as that will just add to your recent problems. Just concentrate on feeling better. As i understand it anyway, fluoxetine is one of the easier ones to come off. I have been on the for over 15 years though so side effects are to be expected.

Ally

crgchaz

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »
Thanks Ally, so far not really feeling anything, no major side effects other than picking up heavy cold and not being able to shake off! doc reckons it could take 4 weeks for effect to come on, hope this is right, really need to get some energy and enthusiasm back, sick of this feeling of uselessness and no motivation. Gonna need some energy to fight employer who is going to sack me over time of! (been 2 months now and doc say at least another month!) having said that really could do with them just finishing me, can't see anyway back to them now. Get some effect from meds and try a new chapter in life. What does the fluox actually do? does it just calm or will it lift energy levels and get rid of the constant whirring in my head?
Sorry to offload on you

Ally74

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »
What does the fluox actually do? does it just calm or will it lift energy levels and get rid of the constant whirring in my head?
Sorry to offload on you

No problem, that's what these forums are for :)

My circumstances are slightly more complicated than just depression. I suffer Panic & Anxiety disorder and was agoraphobic for a few years before i took anti-depressants.. All these symptoms together led to depression.

For me they eased these symtoms and gradually over time i was able to go back out into civilisation.

Trust your GP. Your meds should lift your mood in time and then in return your energy levels will return as you feel better. Always remember you can change your Doctor at any time if you are unhappy with how he is dealing with your symptoms.

Hope this helps

Ally